A former defensive gate (1493-1496) dedicated to King Charles VIII of France, victor of the Battle of Fornovo (Italy). It provides a 23 metre high panoramic view of the river.
- open daily
- 10am to 1pm / 2pm to 6pm
- last climb 30mn before closing
last climb 30mn before closing
Built between 1493 and 1496 on the site of an ancient defensive gate, this gatehouse honoured King Charles VIII’s conquest of the Kingdom of Naples. On the sidefacing the river, a niche with his effigy commemorates his victories in the build up to the Battle of Fornovo (1495).While undoubtedly a military edifice, equipped with a port cullis and wide machicolations, the forthcoming Renaissance period brought with it a new architectural language of mullioned windows and freestone carvings.It provides a 23 metre high panoramic view of the river.